Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Turas

October 12
This link has a good article describing this unusual and highly acclaimed structure.

My first impression of An Turas was of disappointment, as I had expected something a bit more distinguished and conspicuous.  It is hardly functional as a shelter as it is quite far from the pier and disembarkation point to the ferry, and it is so inconspicuous as that most passengers do not even notice it.  I explored An Turas briefly and it did not leave me with any of the eye popping sensations that have been lauded by the architectural community.  It simply reminded me of a cattle chute with a view.  This building, however, was the reason that I came to Tiree, and it is no surprise that the island has so much more to offer than I ever anticipated. 
Tiree is a fantastically austere and simple place with gorgeous beaches and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  To understand An Turas, one has to experience Tiree, as the building does in fact reflect the island's overall aesthetic, which could be called subdued purity.

Isole Borromee